Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Album/Mixtape Review

Welcome back to First Class Blogs
Today's album/mixtape review comes from Indie artist Kali Mac from Long Island. Kali recently released his latest project titled "The Underdog 2" early Oct and is looking to create his own lane. I listened to this tape for about a week now and I must say, Kali definitely has a lot to say. "The Underdog 2" consist of original music from personal songs such as "Goodbye (Look What You've Done Part II)" to a smoker friendly track like "Smoke Sum'n." 

Let's get into some of my personal favorite tracks

The tape starts off with a great introduction track titled "Hello." The beat has the 2Pac "Pain" sample which brings back the original emotions you felt when you first heard the 2Pac song. Kali puts a little twist on the record with his Long Island sound and tells his story. With this being the first full song on the tape it sets the tone for what you're about to get into for the next 45-50 minutes. 

A few lines from "Hello"

"Fast forward to today I'm 10 times better/
I aint get bitches before now they 10 times wetter/
When I'm old and I'm talkin like 10 times 7/
I want niggas to remember I was 10 times 11/"

Another track I liked a lot is the following track titled "Drake, Kendrick, or Cole." I like this song for several reasons, one because Kali actually brings you to the comparison of his style to the other three artist. While you're sitting back and thinking of who to compare his rhyme pattern and scheme to, Kali brings it to the forefront. Not to mention the hook at the end of the record is pretty catchy as well. 

I personally think Lupe should have been in that hook and been someone he compared himself to as well but hey what do I know....

Making our way to the body of the tape you'll come across songs such as "Dead Presidents" and "Before I Die." My personal take on "Dead Presidents" is that the song is dope but I feel Shawn Carter beats should not be touched. Sometimes I must set my opinion on the back burner, so to be fair I'll say the song is good. The track "Before I Die" is an ok track not my favorite but it's still ok. The hook is solid I think the verses could have been slighter better and delivered a little stronger but it's an ok song. 
One of my favorite songs on the whole tape is "Last Breath" very solid track. I think this is the best overall song on the tape. Strong delivery, Kali stayed on topic, and spoke on things everyone thinks about. The production on this track is dope as well, I can see a video for this track. With the right director and vision this can make for a classic video. 

A few lines from "Last Breath"

"Or will I just be alone, heart harder than a stone/
Will I have chosen the fame over everyone I've known/
Doctor calling tellin' me I only got a couple mins left/
Tell me where I'm gon' be when I take my last breath/" 

Overall I think Kali Mac has a dope album/mixtape, he makes music instead of just raping over a beat. Topics, verses, hooks, and most important songs not just verses that were pieced together. Subject range is pretty good as well, you got your get high song, your cocky song, and a very personal track titled "Goodbye (Look What You've Done Part II)." I think you'll be satisfied listening to "The Underdog Dog 2" 

Download the album/mixtape here:

Follow Kali Mac on Twitter at @Kali_Mac 

Share your thoughts and opinions

Written by Rell Mac (@Rell_Mac)







   

No comments:

Post a Comment