Thursday, April 7, 2016

All Summer 16


It's been a minute I know but lets not get into way I've haven't released any new material lets get right into this blog.....

I've been sitting back looking at the rap game and I must say 2015 was a very interesting year. From Ghostwriting, to Twitter Fingers,  to Drake releasing a diss/club anthem and just like you I was glued to the blogs waiting for new music. I just like you were entertained by the memes and the level 5 slander Meek brought on himself but while all that was going on I asked myself a serious question and I'm sure some of you have asked yourselves too....

So I must ask.....

HOW LONG WILL WE (GENERAL POPULATION) CONTINUE TO LET DRAKE GET BY WITHOUT CRAFTING A CLASSIC ALBUM?

I've came across this question while analyzing the entire Meek/Drake disagreement. Please do not get me wrong Drake has given us good album and several number one records but is that good enough? On the song "Summer Sixteen" Drake mentioned how he used to want to be on Roc-A-Fella until he turned into J. 

But has he really turned into J? 

The whole Meek/Drake "beef" can easily be compared to the Jay Z/Nas "beef" 

I know some of you don't remember so allow me to take a scroll down memory lane. In the summer of 2001 Jay Z was the headliner of the world famous Summer Jam Concert. This is when he performed the hits within his catalog and within those hit he decided to premier a new song titled "Takeover". While in this song he takes shots at Nas and Mobb Deep letting it be known that he was the King Of New York. Now not only did Hov preform the song he decided to up the wager and display Prodigy of Mobb Deep on what we all know now is the "Summer Jam Screen" 
Now this very similar to what Drake did to Meek over this past summer of 2015
The only difference between what Jay Z did and what Drake has done is right after Summer Jam of 2001 Jay Z released "The Blueprint". A hands down classic and some may argue that The Blueprint is Jay Z's best album to date (That's a debate that I'll save for a later date)

The point I'm trying to make is following all the shit talking and boosting Jay Z did in 2001 during Summer Jam he backed it up with a classic album. Now with Views From The 6 just around the corner I'm saying that this album also needs to be classic. If this album is anything short of a classic, if this album is anything short of Drakes "Blueprint" all his hard work in 2015 will be irrelevant. 

This is Drake's chance to show other rappers I'm the new Jay Z and OVO is the new Roc-A-Fella. 

So I'll ask before I go.....

If Views From The 6 is not a hands down hip-hop classic does Drake have the right to call himself the new Hov?

If Views From The 6 is is not a hands down hip-hop classic does Drake have the right to stand next to or even allowed to be mentioned in the same breath as the greats?

We have given Drake 6 years since his first studio LP and still not one classic album, how long will we allow subpar material from someone people call "This generations Jay Z" 

Share your thoughts and comments 

Written by @Rell_Mac


  









1 comment:

  1. He can never be Hov even if the next album is a classic. Reason being is because he has Ghostwriters. He hasn't done any interviews after the rumors and leaked tracks of Quentin Miller to put the ghostwriting claims to bed. So to me drake can never be mentioned in the same breath as the rap gods i.e. Jigga, BIG, pac and Nas. He's more in the lane of Diddy and Dr. Dre now. He's meerly an entertainer.

    ReplyDelete